A successful marriage is a give and take relationship, with each person doing as follows:
90% giving and 10% taking = 100% success
Here are ten questions to ask yourself when testing your ability to give and take.
(1) Are you willing to give silence when your spouse needs a little quiet time
(2) Are you willing to give your spouse the benefit of the doubt (Proverbs 2:2)?
(3) Are you willing to take a rebuke or correction and let it rest unchallenged
(Proverbs 3: 11-12)?
(4) Are you willing to take on the extra chores during a time when you know your
spouse if feeling stressed, sick, or tired (Ecc. 4:9)?
(5) Are you willing to give positive words of encouragement (I Thes. 5:11)?
(6) Are you willing to give time to spend with your spouse – alone, without interruptions
(7) Are you willing to give your spouse the courtesy of “please” and
“Thank-you” (I Cor. 13:5)?
(8) Are you willing to take a “time-out” when a disagreement appears to be overheating
(9) Are you willing to give a compliment (Col. 4:6)?
(10) Are you willing to take criticism?
(A) Be careful starting a sentence with “you never” or “you always” (Prov. 25:11).
(B) If you give more – the take becomes easier.
(C) If you must criticize, do it lovingly.
Listen, if you could not answer yes to all of these questions, please take heart. Marriage is a growing process, a “marathon,” not a “sprint.” As each of you grow in your willingness to give and take, you will grow closer together. “Be gentle and ready to forgive, never hold grudges (Col. 3:13 TLB).
Pastors Jesse and Brenda McNeil are Assistant Pastors at Word Alive Ministries, Inc. in Lakeland, Florida. They are committed marriage and family pastors, advisors, and teachers, offering premarital preparation, personal advisory, post marital advisory, and wedding services to any-one who desires. Pastor Jesse is also the author of the very influential book, “Powerful Principles for Choosing a Marriage Partner.” The McNeils have been married for more than 42 years and have worked together as a dynamic, unified ministry team for over 36 years. You are sure to be blessed and in-spired by their awesome ministry.
Family Focus Ministry
Pastors Jesse & Brenda McNeil
Every person is worth understanding!
Premarital Preparation, Post Marital Advisory,
Marriage Ceremonies, Seminars & Speaking Engagements
For comments or questions email us at: email@example.com
or call 863-944-2283 or 863-944-0762